Coronavirus Information for businesses and employees
Page updated on 26th March
This page has been created to keep BID levy payers and other businesses in Truro fully informed with the latest advice and information for businesses. Truro BID recognise this is a challenging time for businesses and we want to support you how we can.
ensure businesses have up to date access to COVID-19 business support, the cabinet office has set up a new Coronavirus business support webpage which hosts all the details of the schemes the
Chancellor has announced, including the latest support for the self-employed.
Cornwall Council announced more information about how the schemes for Local Authority Business Rate Grants to Businesses will be made available on 25 March.
We want to monitor the economic impact so we can feed back to local and national government and lobby for the support you need whilst the nation progresses through this situation over the coming months. Please share with us information and business impact, so that we can develop support mechanisms appropriately by emailing: Alun.Jones@trurobid.co.uk
23rd March - Government Announcement
All shops selling "non-essential" goods will be closed, as will a range of public spaces and venues.
- Stores selling clothing and electronics
- Hair, beauty and nail salons
- Libraries, community centres and youth centres
- Playgrounds, outdoor gyms and sports courts
- Places of worship
- Outdoor and indoor markets, excluding food markets
- Bowling alleys, arcades and soft play facilities
- Hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, caravan parks, and boarding houses for commercial/leisure use. This excludes permanent residents and key workers
- Government will cover 80% of the salary of retained workers who aren't working (up to £2,500 a month)
- Government will cover the cost of wages backdated to 1st March and will be open before the end of April for at least 3 months (open to any employer in the country)
- The Government announced that the
Coronavirus Bill will include a measure preventing landlords evicting
commercial tenants who are unable to pay their rent which will help support
businesses see media release from 23 March
If you’re in need of advice please find below a guide to the other current information available:
- HMRC Covid-19 Helpline: If you run a business or are self-employed and are concerned about paying your tax due to coronavirus, you can call a new helpline number 0800 024 1222 which has been set up in addition to the other HMRC phone contact number.
- FSB Advice to Small Businesses: advice and guidance on reducing risks of disruption from the COVID-19 virus to you and your business and other funding options.
- Business Interruption Load Scheme: details on how to apply for the business interruption loan scheme. This will temporarily replace the Enterprise Finance Guarantee (EFG); with details being made available over the coming days.
- ACAS Advice to Employers and Employees: practical HR advice and a simple step guide on how to protect the health and safety of staff.
- Local businesses can request to join the Private Support Group for businesses in Truro on Facebook as a response to Covid-19.
- We encourage Truro Businesses to follow Visit Cornwall B2B on Twitter for updated tourism industry news and the effect of Covid 19. Details for Visit Cornwall Members will also be posted on the Visit Cornwall webpage. There are also details aimed at Visit Cornwall Members on the Visit Cornwall webpage.
- Law firm Stephens Scown have set up a Covid-19 Insights Hub which is regularly being updated and maybe of help to businesses in the city.