The Christmas offer is still a top priority for many businesses. For 2020 the Christmas offer involved thinking about the best ways we can attract people to Truro and support our resident businesses to achieve their best potential sales, whilst considering what was possible due to COVID-19 restrictions and budgets available.
We had to make changes due to lockdown 2.0. This include cancelling one late night shopping Wednesday and unfortunately the plans to have Father Christmas at the Royal Cornwall Museum, which Truro BID was sponsoring, was cancelled.
Whilst Truro's Festive offer was
different due to COVID, Truro BID delivered the following initiatives and
activities within Government Guidelines:
- The installation of Truro’s City
Centre Christmas Lights (funded by Truro BID) and the new angel lights in St
Nicholas Street and Lower Lemon Street (mainly funded by Truro’s Town Crier).
- The illuminated Cathedral Installation on Trafalgar Roundabout and over 80 Illuminated Reindeer for shops windows having secured funding from the Truro Town Fund Deal Accelerator Fund.
Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-on, streamed on Pirate FM’s Facebook page
during lockdown 2.0 and one of Pirate FM’s most viewed videos in 2020 generating nearly 28k views.
- Following Lockdown 2.0 along with Truro City Council and Visit Truro reinstating social distancing measures, including road closures at peak times in main streets, to give a traffic-free environment and space to shop.
- ‘Space to
shop’ at four Late night shopping Wednesdays by funding extensions to road
closures until 9pm.
- Projections large illuminated visuals on the Tui building and Arts Café for Wednesday late night shopping.
- Organising and part-funding street entertainment - on Saturdays and late night shopping, including stilt walkers from Poyka Entertainment (funded by Tyller A Nerth) and Swamp Circus.
- Engaging with businesses to offer illuminated reindeer, resulting in the Illuminated Reindeer trail in over 80 shop windows which was promoted on Visit Truro.
- Walkabout Theatre shows by sponsoring Coppice Theatre to perform Jack’s Frosty Stories walkabout theatre and working with them on logistics.
We worked with Visit Truro to promote Truro. The ‘Space to Shop’ campaign promoting the road closures on Heart FM, bus rears and via social media originally planned for October / November was extended into December.
'Our Great Little Festive City' campaign promoted the festive activities via social media on Visit Truro, posters and flyers, and we produced 8 media releases generating good media coverage including on BBC Spotlight.
The full, festive events programme was detailed on www.visittruro.org.uk.
Other Past Christmas Activities
For 2018 and 2019 to add to the atmosphere for Wednesday late night shopping, we projected large visuals on the TUI building (corner of Boscawen Street and Lemon Street), and on the Arts Café in River Street. Truro BID are behind the projections, with the creative content produced by Truro and Penwith College students.
For the last few years we delivered the event management for the annual Father Christmas Parade in partnership with Truro City Council and Visit Truro.
New for 2019, we sponsored Father Christmas at the Museum in River Street for Wednesday late-night shopping and Coppice Theatre's Jack's Frosty Stories for six performances on two dates.
We also support the City of Lights event team to deliver this annual event that attracts circa 30,000 visitors and kick-starts Christmas in Truro.
Truro Christmas Street Markets 2020 - cancelled
Regrettably the Truro Christmas Street Markets 2020 that offers quality gifts and street food did not take place in 2020 due to the current COVID-19 restrictions.
Usually these markets are held on four dates on Saturdays and four or five Wednesdays on the build up to Christmas.
Bookings for the Truro Christmas Street Markets are planned to open in June 2021.
Truro is especially beautiful at this festive time of year with its cobbled street and amazing lights. With attractive daily rates, the market trading hours coincide with the extremely popular Wednesday Christmas late night shopping and busy Saturday's.
A maximum of 34 pitches (consisting of stalls selling Gifts/General Merchandise and Street Food) along with 6 pitches for privately owned Street Food Catering Vans are available. Prices for 2019 started from £75 + VAT for Saturday and £105 + VAT for Wednesdays.
If you would like to book or know more about Truro Christmas Street Markets for 2021 please contact Truro BID, Alun Jones email@example.com