We worked closely with various partners, including Visit Truro, to bring exciting events to the city in 2021.
The launch event - Festive Friday
- We worked in partnership with Pirate FM again and to mark the start of the festive season, we brought to ‘Festive Friday’ to Truro (on 19 Nov) with the main event being a live Christmas Light Switch-on.
- From 3pm on Festive Friday, Pirate FM’s Johnny Cowling and Lucy Start were broadcasting from Truro.
- There was special entertainment at 6.30pm organised by Hall for Cornwall (HFC) and then the lights were switched-on by Johnny Cowling, Truro’s Town Crier and others.
- Once the lights were on, there was a parade around Truro featuring performers, music and Father Christmas in his sleigh.
- On Festive Friday Duchy Fairs were on Lemon Quay with their Big Festive Cornwall Shop Small Market alongside Truro Farmers Market. Both markets were open until 9pm.
- The reindeer trail returned so many of Truro’s shop windows decorated throughout the festive season with Christmas reindeer lights.
Other Christmas 2021 Events
- Part of Victoria Gardens was lit up for the festive season with fun, new Christmas lights that we’ve purchased having secured Accelerated Capital Funding from the Truro Town Deal.
- From 24 November, there were five late night shopping Wednesdays planned and another festive market, Truro Farmers Market’s BIG Christmas Market which we supported.
- To enhance the festive offer, we organised entertainment and delivered a selection of street food and drink stalls on Boscawen St for late night shopping Wednesdays and Saturdays from 27 November.
- We projected large-scale festive content on to two buildings in Boscawen St and River St during late night shopping.
- We worked with Truro Cathedral and Coppice Theatre to bring a Father Christmas grotto and story telling experience to Truro Cathedral from 1 December on four Wednesdays.
- We worked with Coppice Theatre to bring Jack Frost shows to Truro for the third year. Coppice Theatre performed for the first time in Victoria Gardens with their new walkabout show Jack Frost 5: Lost in Time.
- We planned and funded temporary road closures for ten dates over the festive period. Road closures were in Boscawen St, St Nicholas St, Lower Lemon St and Princes St only.
- On Festive Friday there were road closures from 6am until midnight.
- To help give a more space for customers who are Christmas shopping, the main shopping streets were totally traffic-free on Late Night Shopping Wednesdays from 3pm (until 11pm) and Saturdays from 24 November.
- On Saturdays from 27 November until 18 December road closures are in place from 6am until 7pm.
Marketing and Event Listings
- We worked closely with Visit Truro and Pirate FM to promote Christmas and delivered the Our Great Little City marketing campaign.
- Activity included a social media campaign with Pirate FM, radio advertising, waterproof poster on routes in and out of Truro and in the city centre, 25k flyers door dropped to homes,k and posters and flyers within Truro's businesses.
- We achieved media coverage in West Briton, Truro Voice and online following our media releases.
- Full event listings were promoted on Visit Truro's webpage.
Christmas 2020 Initiatives
Whilst Truro's Festive offer was
different due to COVID, Truro BID delivered the following initiatives and
activities within Government Guidelines:
- The installation of Truro’s City
Centre Christmas Lights (funded by Truro BID) and the new angel lights in St
Nicholas Street and Lower Lemon Street (mainly funded by Truro’s Town Crier).
- The illuminated Cathedral Installation on Trafalgar Roundabout and over 80 Illuminated Reindeer for shops windows having secured funding from the Truro Town Fund Deal Accelerator Fund.
Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-on, streamed on Pirate FM’s Facebook page
during lockdown 2.0 and one of Pirate FM’s most viewed videos in 2020 generating nearly 28k views.
- Along with Truro City Council and Visit Truro social distancing measures, including road closures at peak times in main streets, to give a traffic-free environment and 'Space to Shop'.
- ‘Space to
shop’ at four Late Night Shopping Wednesdays by funding extensions to road
closures until 9pm.
- Projections of large illuminated visuals on the Tui building and Arts Café for Wednesday late night shopping.
- Street entertainment - on Saturdays and late night shopping, including stilt walkers from Poyka Entertainment (funded by Tyller A Nerth) and Swamp Circus.
- Walkabout Theatre shows by sponsoring Coppice Theatre to perform Jack’s Frosty Stories walkabout theatre and working with them on logistics.
Christmas 2020 Marketing
- We worked with Visit Truro to
promote Truro and the ‘Space to Shop’ campaign promoting the road closures on Heart
FM, bus rears and via social media originally was extended into December.
- The 'Our Great Little Festive City' campaign promoted the festive activities via social media on Visit Truro, posters and flyers, and we produced 8 media releases generating good media coverage including on BBC Spotlight. The full, festive events programme was detailed on www.visittruro.org.uk.