We’ve been working closely with various partners, including Visit Truro, and are delighted to be bringing exciting events to the city this festive season.
The launch event - Festive Friday
- We are working in partnership with Pirate FM again this year. On Friday 19 November to mark the start of the festive season, there will be ‘Festive Friday’ and the main event will be a live Christmas Light Switch-on.
- From 3pm on Festive Friday, Pirate FM’s Johnny Cowling and Lucy Start will be broadcasting from Boscawen St.
- There will be special entertainment at 6.30pm organised by Hall for Cornwall (HFC) and then the lights will be switched-on by Johnny Cowling, Truro’s Town Crier and cast members from HFC’s Christmas Show Cinderella.
- Once the lights are on, there will be a parade around Truro featuring performers, music and Father Christmas in his sleigh.
- On Festive Friday Duchy Fairs will be on Lemon Quay with their Big Festive Cornwall Shop Small Market alongside Truro Farmers Market. Both markets will be open until 9pm.
- Alongside the City Centre lights being switched-on, part of Victoria Gardens is being lit up for the festive season with fun, new Christmas lights that we’ve purchased having secured Accelerated Capital Funding from the Truro Town Deal.
- The reindeer trail will be back where many of Truro’s shop windows will be decorated with Christmas reindeer lights.
Other Christmas 2021 Events
- From 24 November, there will be five late night shopping Wednesdays and another festive market, Truro Farmers Market’s BIG Christmas Market. We’re supporting this market which will be on Lemon Quay until Christmas Eve.
- To enhance the festive offer, we’re organising entertainment and delivering a selection of street food and drink stalls on Boscawen St for late night shopping Wednesdays and four Saturdays from 27 November.
- We will also be projecting large-scale festive content on to two buildings in Boscawen St and River St during late night shopping.
- We’ve been working with the Cathedral and Coppice Theatre and are delighted that Father Christmas will be in his grotto at Truro Cathedral from 1 December on four Wednesdays. Coppice Theatre will be helping to bring the man himself to Truro with a new unique storytelling and grotto experience for families.
- We’ve also been working with Coppice Theatre to bring Jack Frost shows to Truro for the third year. Coppice Theatre will be performing for the first time in Victoria Gardens with their new walkabout show Jack Frost 5: Lost in Time.
- There will be temporary road closures for ten dates over the festive period being funded by Truro BID.
- On Festive Friday there are road closures from 11am until 10pm.
- The main shopping streets will be totally traffic-free on Late Night Shopping Wednesdays from 3pm and all day on Saturdays from 27 November to help give ample space and a more enjoyable shopping experience.
Event Listings & Marketing
- For the full event listings and to details on purchasing tickets for Jack Frost 5 and Finding Father Christmas see Visit Truro's Christmas webpage
- We are working closely with Visit Truro and Pirate FM to promote Christmas and deliver the Our Great Little City marketing campaign.
Christmas 2020 Initiatives
Whilst Truro's Festive offer was
different due to COVID, Truro BID delivered the following initiatives and
activities within Government Guidelines:
- The installation of Truro’s City
Centre Christmas Lights (funded by Truro BID) and the new angel lights in St
Nicholas Street and Lower Lemon Street (mainly funded by Truro’s Town Crier).
- The illuminated Cathedral Installation on Trafalgar Roundabout and over 80 Illuminated Reindeer for shops windows having secured funding from the Truro Town Fund Deal Accelerator Fund.
Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-on, streamed on Pirate FM’s Facebook page
during lockdown 2.0 and one of Pirate FM’s most viewed videos in 2020 generating nearly 28k views.
- Following Lockdown 2.0 along with Truro City Council and Visit Truro social distancing measures, including road closures at peak times in main streets, to give a traffic-free environment and 'Space to Shop'.
- ‘Space to
shop’ at four Late Night Shopping Wednesdays by funding extensions to road
closures until 9pm.
- Projections of large illuminated visuals on the Tui building and Arts Café for Wednesday late night shopping.
- Organising and part-funding street entertainment - on Saturdays and late night shopping, including stilt walkers from Poyka Entertainment (funded by Tyller A Nerth) and Swamp Circus.
- Walkabout Theatre shows by sponsoring Coppice Theatre to perform Jack’s Frosty Stories walkabout theatre and working with them on logistics.
Christmas 2020 Marketing
- We worked with Visit Truro to
promote Truro and the ‘Space to Shop’ campaign promoting the road closures on Heart
FM, bus rears and via social media originally was extended into December.
- The 'Our Great Little Festive City' campaign promoted the festive activities via social media on Visit Truro, posters and flyers, and we produced 8 media releases generating good media coverage including on BBC Spotlight. The full, festive events programme was detailed on www.visittruro.org.uk.
Other Past Christmas Activities
- For 2018 and 2019 to add to the atmosphere for Wednesday late night shopping, we projected large visuals on the TUI building and on the Arts Café in River Street. Truro BID are behind the projections, with the creative content produced by Truro and Penwith College students.
- New for 2019, we sponsored Father Christmas at the Museum in River Street for Wednesday late-night shopping and Coppice Theatre's Jack's Frosty Stories for six performances on two dates.
- For the last few years we delivered the event management for the annual Father Christmas Parade in partnership with Truro City Council and Visit Truro.
- We've also supported the City of Lights event team to deliver this annual event that attracts circa 30,000 visitors and kick-starts Christmas in Truro.