Truro BID Achievements 2017 - 2021
Truro BID first became operational in October 2007 and returned with another successful ‘yes’ ballot result for a second five-year term in October 2012.
Truro BID is currently in year four of its third five-year term, which began on 1 October 2017. The BID is independent from local authorities and other statutory agencies and delivers projects over and above the baseline services provided by them
Truro BID represents circa 400 businesses and our key achievements from the last four years are below.
Events - Celebrating our City
- Installed, maintained and funded Truro’s annual Christmas Lights Scheme. Above image credit: PR4 Photos.
- Awarded Accelerator Capital Funding from the Truro Town Deal to part-fund new and additional Christmas lights including Cathedral light installation, reindeer lights to enhance shops windows, and new for 2021 lights in Victoria Gardens.
- Enhanced the festive offer with street entertainment, large scale projections on buildings, traffic-free main shopping streets, and by supporting Coppice Theatre shows and Father Christmas grottos.
- For three festive seasons (pre-covid) managed the Truro Christmas Street Markets in Boscawen St and supported the City of Lights team to deliver the City of Lights event.
- Delivered three Truro Trend events (pre-covid) to promote fashion, hair and beauty in the city via the high-profile Catwalk at the Cathedral evening event (audience of 600) and a week of in-store events and offers from Truro’s businesses.
- Delivered three Children’s Day events consisting of family shows (including with mountain bike athlete Andrei Burton and Swamp Circus), activities on Lemon Quay, and in-store events and offers at businesses across Truro.
- Delivered the Totally Locally Fiver Fest where over 50 of Truro’s independent businesses put on special £5 offers for two weeks.
- Initiated and supported around 24 one day markets; the Truro Antiques and Collectables Markets and Cornwall Shop Small Markets (led by Duchy Fairs). Made possible as Truro BID was Awarded Accelerator Capital Funding from the Truro Town Deal to part-fund market equipment.
- Sponsored Truro Food Festival for both years it’s been in Truro and part-funded and was involved in the operations to deliver the Tour of Britain Live Lounge Celebrations on Lemon Quay.
Environment - The City's Streets
- Joint-funded with Truro City Council the annual floral hanging baskets each spring, which won Gold in the 2019 Southwest in Bloom. In 2021, Truro achieved a Gold Medal Award for the BID / Urban entry for the South West region of Britain in Bloom.
- Funded and delivered the annual decorative bunting to brighten up the city from Spring to Autumn.
- Helped to brighten up empty premises by wrapping premises with colourful vinyl stickers promoting Visit Truro and facilitating pop-up use including over the festive period.
- Delivered four city City Clean up events which involved businesses, organisations and community groups cleaning, tidying and litter picking.
- Achieved grant to fund five Gum Drop Bins (which recycles chewing gum into new compounds), delivered additional cleaning by Biffa (pre-covid) and cleaned windows of empty premises following Truro’s reopening from lockdown 1.0.
- Delivered wayfinding scheme with section 106 money; over 45 pedestrian signs to help visitors navigate Truro and explore secondary streets.
- Key partner in the Truro Safe scheme which has helped to achieve an additional resource including a full time anti-social behaviour casework for Truro.
- Delivered monthly Shopwatch meetings to enable businesses to share crime related issues and knowledge with other businesses, the police and Truro BID.
- Initiated and delivered the DISC online crime reporting system which now directly reports crime to Devon & Cornwall Police.
Marketing - Our Great Little City
- Worked with Visit Truro to promote the city to residents and visitors, including contributing financially to printed marketing activity (Truro Guides) and Visit Truro’s website.
- Promoted the city via Truro BID-led events with advertising and achieving extensive media coverage (press, radio and sometimes TV) for Truro Trend, Children’s Day, Fiver Fest, Christmas Late Night Shopping and City Clean Up.
- Delivered Truro’s Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-on in 2020 streamed on Pirate FM’s Facebook page; one of Pirate FM’s most watched videos in 2020 with over 27k views.
- Marketed BID activities to businesses via weekly e-newsletter, hand-delivered printed newsletters and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
Businesses - Supporting the City
- Followed Government Guidance on reopening towns following Lockdown 1.0; worked with partners to deliver social distancing signage and temporary pedestrianisation in parts of Truro to give ‘space to shop’ and encourage customers to return to the high street.
- Supported business during lockdowns by signposting to information and business support and grants.
- Objected to Hendra Retail Park at Langarth and contributed to the retail impact assessment that led to refusal of planning application.
- Attended annual strategic transport committee meeting to object to car parking increases in Cornwall Council’s car parks.
- Represented the interests of businesses on plans for the Pydar Regeneration and Truro Town Fund investment plan.